It is commonly recognized that a large body of medical literature and extensive clinical experience indicates that sufficiently high exposures to indoor airborne mold can lead to disease in otherwise healthy individuals. Since environmental health has not been a focus of medical education, many physicians are not fully aware of the scope of mold related health problems and are inadequately equipped to investigate and manage possible cases of mold exposure in a timely fashion.

Exposure to significant levels of indoor mold can cause acute or chronic dysfunction or injury to all organ systems including the respiratory, neurological, cardiovascular, genitourinary, ,gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, immune (through both immediate and non-IgE mechanisms) and hematological systems. In addition to the resulting more commonly considered respiratory conditions such as asthma and rhinosinusitis, exposure to mold proteins and mycotoxins has been associated with fatigue, reduced concentration, imbalance, poor memory and hemorrhagic disorders.

Mold contaminated buildings may well require prompt, serious remediation since avoiding further exposure is the first step in treatment as well as a major part of disease prevention.

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) recommends continuing research regarding mold related health problems and suggests that experienced health authorities disseminate knowledge about this public health issue in order to achieve widespread clinical competence among health professionals in the investigation and management of actual or alleged mold exposure. Supporting medical and scientific literature on this issue, along with  opportunities for formal training in environmental health, are available through the AAEM.

Approved by the Board of Directors of the American

Academy of Environmental Medicine on March 1, 2008.

Download the PDF